Early morning house fire sparked by wires

By Shenandoah Briere | Mar 03, 2018
Photo by: Shenandoah Briere A house on East River Drive sustained damage after a fire was ignited from toppled wires.

Dartmouth fire crews battled a house fire at 5 East River Drive in the early morning hours of March 3.

The call came in around 1:40 a.m. at the home located in a neighborhood off of Tucker Road, according to Deputy Chief Theodore Borges. The fire was sparked by a tree which had toppled over onto nearby wires and began on the roof of the building's garage.

Only one woman resided in the home, along with her dog and cat. Neither the resident, her animals or any firefighters were injured. The cat did need to be rescued by firefighters.

Borges said both Dartmouth Fire Districts No. 1 and No. 2 aided in the battle. Crews found it difficult to dissolve the flames because of the wind, the tree still being on the house and live wires. A little after 3 a.m., crews had the fire under control.

Most of the damage was sustained to the upper level finished portion of the garage. There was also water and smoke damage, but no main structural issues.

Borges estimated the total cost of damage to be anywhere between $150,000 to $175,000. Trustee Elizabeth C. Pollin owns the house, which has an estimated worth of $423,000.

A tree also fell onto a car parked in the driveway.

Responders from the Red Cross arrived on scene to assist the resident shortly after the flames were put out.

This came after emergency crews spent the day clearing areas of town with downed branches, tree, poles and wires due to the nor’easter moving through the state.

A tree fell on the wires that caused the fire. (Photo by: Shenandoah Briere)
Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.